Mineke Foundation works in Liberia. Our goal is to help people - especially young people and women - to become economically self-reliant. We focus on education and entrepreneurship. We have three ...
Entrepreneurial Board Member Partnerships
Scan me or visit www.volunteer.deedmob.com/o/Mineke-Foundation1/opportunities/58752 to join
SummaryWe are looking for an enterprising board member Partnerships!
To increase the knowledge & skills of our team in Liberia and to enhance the quality of our school and after-school programs, we are looking for a
Entrepreneurial Board Member Partnerships
Mineke Foundation works in one of the poorest countries in the world. Liberia has a poor education system and many people have not finished school. In addition, the country is dependent on imports. There is almost no manufacturing industry or production in the country.
In the next two to three years we would like to achieve at least the following:
- Improving the pedagogical knowledge of our teachers Our teachers are willing but lack important pedagogical skills. Such as: how do you deal with difficult children or children who are a bit behind? How do you develop good teaching programs and how do you test the progress of children throughout the year? We dream of setting up an exchange program with a PABO course in which, for example, students develop a distance learning program (videos) for our teachers. Or where students travel to Liberia every year to transfer knowledge there. But we are certainly open to other ideas!
- Setting up a sport + nutrition + health program for our school. We would like to set up an (after-school) program in which children at our school in Liberia receive at least one healthy meal per day, supplemented with a sports & exercise program to prevent lifestyle diseases. One of our existing partners is a Dutch sports association that is happy to help us set up the sports & exercise program. For example to provide remote training (videos) for our sports trainer in Liberia. Through a volunteer we have contacts with an American party that could support nutrition and monitoring of the health of children.
We are looking for a board member/volunteer who is willing to put his teeth into this and who wants to see what other partnerships are possible to take our work further.
When do you fit well in our team?
- Have a hands-on attitude
- Are a self-starter & self-employed worker
- Speaks, reads and writes good English and Dutch
- Have a learning attitude and are willing to both learn from our team in Liberia and transfer knowledge to them
- You have experience in developing partnerships
- You have an affinity with pedagogy and/or education
- Good advice, coordination, organization and collaboration
- Interested and able to work effectively in a small remote first organization with big ambitions and a small wallet
- Want to use your skills and experience to make an impact in one of the poorest countries in the world.
Good to know
Mineke Foundation consists of 2 organizations:
- The Liberian local NGO in Liberia that we internally call MF LIB. MF LIB is a fully accredited local NGO in Liberia, as well as a fully accredited vocational school and primary school.
- The Dutch ANBI foundation that we internally call MF NL. MF NL is the support foundation of MF LIB (fundraising, communication etc) and also takes care of the knowledge transfer and development of MF LIB.
The board of MF NL is a cooperative board. This means that you are active as a volunteer with a few extra tasks. Namely: coordination of and coordination with the volunteer(s) in 'your' portfolio and co-responsibility for the further development of our organization.
The board meets twice a year physically somewhere centrally in the Netherlands. Additional digital consultation will take place if necessary. Board and volunteers in the Netherlands also meet twice a year, following the physical board meetings.
There are also 2 moments in the year when MF NL has group meetings via Zoom with MF LIB. In addition, you will have (digital) coordination moments with 'your' volunteer(s) and/or team members in Liberia.
How much time does this take?
We estimate 1-2 days per month.
What do we offer you?
- The opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of children, young people and women in one of the poorest countries in the world
- A pioneering role in the further development and professionalization of a distinguished foundation
- Working with a motivated and committed team
- An international network of professionals
We would like to meet you!
🗣️ Native language skills
What we will provide to volunteers🤝 Extra support
About Mineke Foundation
== The Damiefa School is a social enterprise that provides affordable private education from kindergarten through eighth grade. The national Liberian curriculum is complemented by an Art education program developed by Dutch teachers and a Reading comprehension program developed by American teachers for Liberia. It is our ambition to grow the school into a fully-fledged secondary school.
== Our Women's Club is a social educational program of monthly workshops & meetings for women. The workshops deal with topics such as (reproductive) health, women's rights, leadership and sexual violence. The training courses focus on entrepreneurship, supplemented with micro-loans. In a few years we hope to add adult education as well.
== The Resource Center is a multipurpose room with a small library/computer lab with two user groups. On the one hand, these are the children of the Damiefa School, on the other, they are young people between 15 and 35 years of age. Mineke Foundation offers them – both itself and in collaboration with partners – a series of training programs aimed at improving their position in the labor market. The training includes soft skills, entrepreneurship and digital skills.
Check out our Facebook page for recent updates: www.facebook.com/MinekeFoundation
Mineke Foundation is an award-winning foundation known for its quality and professionalism. We are an accredited local Liberian NGO, vocational school and private (primary) school.
A small, committed and motivated local team carries out our projects in Liberia. The Dutch foundation consists of international volunteers and supports our team in Liberia, among other things with fundraising, social media & communication and knowledge transfer. There is regular contact between the teams.
Our fun and enthusiastic volunteers will make you feel at home quickly! We all work from home and have regular Zoom calls, including with our team in Liberia. Volunteers living in the Netherlands usually meet twice a year. Good to know: we speak both Dutch and English, but speak English during calls & meetings.
Mineke Foundation was founded in 2009 by Tonia Dabwe to build on the work her parents started in Liberia in the late 1960s. The foundation is named after Tonia's Dutch mother who has been missing in Liberia since the civil war.